Haxe (From: Java > Scala -> new thread: GUI for D)

Adrian adrian.remove-nospam at veith-system.de
Tue Dec 6 00:46:39 PST 2011

Am 05.12.2011 18:56, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:

> In that project, Haxe's ability to compile the same code, in the same
> language, down to both server-side (PHP) and client-side (Flash8) has been
> an *enormous* benefit. Just that one ability alone, even without the fact
> that Haxe beats the snot of out both AS2 and PHP. I also use a
> slightly-hacked version of the HaxeIgniter framework (could be better, but
> it's not bad and it gets the job done).
>
> That said, I have been chomping at the bit to switch to D (and Adam's clever
> web framework) for my server-side code. I've pretty much managed to convince
> my client to eventually let us switch to a host that allows native-compiled
> CGI. The only problem now is that that would rule out the possibility of
> sharing code between both server and client - Which is *NOT* something I
> want to give up...

That is exactly my point. HaXe' s ability to share the same code on
client and server side is one of it's killer features. Together with a
increasing number of target languages it fits almost everywhere.

Currently I use the following setup for my development:

- a web and database server written in pascal (Delphi)
- all server modules written in haXe/neko
- client - server communication via haXe
- GUI client modules written either in Delphi with a small neko layer
for the communication, or in haXe/Javascript in an embedded browser.

> <shameless plug>:
>
> So to that end, you mentioned Java and C# targets are coming to Haxe? Well,
> so is D... :)
>
> HaxeD: http://www.dsource.org/projects/haxed

interesting - the last time I looked, I thought the project is abandoned.

> It's not at a usable point just yet, but the basics are in place, and at
> this point it's mostly just a matter of continuing to translate each of the
> different types of statements, expressions, declarations, etc. Details of
> the current status are on that homepage. (Haxe's macro system is a low
> priority for me right now though, unless someone else wants to work on
> that).
>
> Why did I write the whole thing from scratch in D as a separate tool,
> instead of just adding D support to the official Haxe codebase? Ehh,
> possibly-questionable reasons:
>
> 1. Because I looked at Haxe's source and decided I didn't feel like figuring
> out OCaml before getting started :/

yes OCaml is another beast. My idea was to take the source of Hugh
Sandersons C++ target and adopt it to D. For me, D is a much more
logical target for haXe, because many of the language features fit
better together. The problem I see with your solution is, that haXe
evolves very fast and a D target written in OCaml would benefit from
this, whereas a target written in D is always behind.

The last few months I am looking at D as a replacement for Delphi at
least at the server side (which would be a major task rewriting the
database server), but I am twisted at the moment, because I am not sure
if D is mature enough ( and/or me good enough to master if not).