A new web newsreader

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Thu Dec 8 05:51:20 PST 2011

On 08/12/2011 10:55, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> As mentioned previously, I've been working on a web frontend for the
> DigitalMars NNTP server. I collected ideas and inspiration from the
> several threads on this topic in the last few weeks, and now I think
> that the result is ready for beta testing and general use.
>
> The current (temporary) URL is:
>

> Here are the highlights:
>
> * Written in D, pull requests are welcome.
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed
>
> * It remembers which posts you've seen on an individual post basis.
> By default, read post history is stored in a compressed cookie.
>
> * Optionally, you can register an account, which will store your
> preferences and read post history in the server database. There is no
> e-mail confirmation etc.

Oooh, it's almost ready enough to let me replace my Thunderbird usage!

A couple of feature requests (some I've already mentioned on IRC):

  * Support syntax highlighting for blocks enclosed with --- like DDoc
does, maybe other types of blocks too such as {{{}}} that trac uses, or
whatever github uses.
  * Does the mailing list have the same restriction as gmane has (no
posting)?
  * Thundrbird has a "mark read" function for
threads/messages/newsgroups - that'd be really useful.
  * In the horizontal-split view if you scroll down too far in the
thread you can't see the current thread title, it would be good to make
that sticky until you reach the next thread so you can see where you're
up to

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/