A new web newsreader

Dmitry kdmult at ya.ru
Thu Dec 8 06:10:53 PST 2011

On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 13:19:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 11:43:25 UTC, Dmitry wrote:
>> It would be great to have a button "View New Posts". It could
>> be very useful and I think it is only what we need actually. :)
>
> What would such a button do?

It would allow you to view all of the topics which have new
messages (replies) in since your last visit. Each the topic would
contain the new messages only and, if it makes sense, the
original messages too.

For example, assume that I had already read everything and
replied to your message some time ago.
A few minutes later I had pressed button/link "View New Posts" on
the "Forum Index" page so that there was your reply only.
The page could look as follows.

› Forum Index
======== D Programming Language ========
Forum              Last Post
digitalmars.D      A new web newsreader
                   by Vladimir Panteleev
                           ? minutes ago

The page would be empty at all, if there was nothing new for
reading. Alternatively, another approach could keep it as it is
for now, but indicate somehow on unread messages (e.g. change the
font style or place a count of new messages).

Then, if I had entered to "digitalmars.D" with the new message
the page could look as below.

› digitalmars.D
======= A new web newsreader ========
Dmitry                    ? hours ago // original message, had
been already read
  Vladimir Panteleev    ? minutes ago // unread message

Sorry for unclear explanation.

In other words, button "View New Posts" could update a page
filtering out all read messages.