A new web newsreader

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Thu Dec 8 07:05:16 PST 2011

On 08/12/2011 14:06, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 13:51:21 UTC, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> * Support syntax highlighting for blocks enclosed with --- like DDoc
>> does, maybe other types of blocks too such as {{{}}} that trac uses,
>> or whatever github uses.
>
> I'm not very excited about the idea of introducing formatting features
> that only users of this web interface will see. Frequent use of such
> features would annoy users of other interfaces, and there's the risk of
> accidentally activating them.

I've seen quite a few people using it for code snippets anyway, and it's
only a minor thing - I wouldn't want to go any further and allow for
bold/italic/smileys/etc. Accidentally activating them would be a
problem, I think that's a minor risk for this though. Not a major thing,
just something I've always wanted to see ;)

>> * Does the mailing list have the same restriction as gmane has (no
>> posting)?
>
> Yes. Clicking on "Create thread" or "Reply" will display a message with
> a link to the Mailman page. I could probably implement posting if Brad
> says it's OK, but focused discussion groups such as development mailing
> lists might actually benefit from a high barrier to entry.

That's a shame, it really annoys me that I can't reply in the same place
as I read currently :(

>> * Thundrbird has a "mark read" function for
>> threads/messages/newsgroups - that'd be really useful.
>
> "Mark thread as [un]read" keys should be easy to add. It would also be
> possible to mark all posts as read, but not on a per-group basis.

Awesome! Can't wait!

>> * In the horizontal-split view if you scroll down too far in the
>> thread you can't see the current thread title, it would be good to
>> make that sticky until you reach the next thread so you can see where
>> you're up to
>
> This isn't possible with just CSS. A JavaScript implementation might be
> possible. I'll think about it.

Some of us don't have the same reservations as Nick about not using
javascript ;) If it can't be done in CSS it would still be really nice
to have.

> Maybe we should just reverse the thread sort order, like for the
> "threaded" view?

<moreJavascript>
There could be a "Sort by" option to allow it to be sorted however the
user wants it?
</moreJavascript>

>> Another one - log in using OpenID so I don't have to remember another
>> username/password ;)
>
> I'd be happy to if you provide a D OpenID implementation :)
>
> (Last I checked, implementing OpenID from scratch was quite hard)

I doubt I'll get chance in the near future unfortunately. Last time I
looked it didn't seem to hard, I didn't look too in depth though.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/