A new web newsreader

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Dec 8 07:50:24 PST 2011

On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 15:27:27 UTC, tn wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 13:13:38 UTC, Vladimir
> Panteleev wrote:
>> Generally, in a threaded discussion, replies always have to
>> appear below their parents. Even though it's possible to sort
>> siblings in the reverse order, it would be rather
>> inconsistent. The same goes with entire threads - the last
>> post in a group will appear as the *bottom-most* child of its
>> parent, inside the *topmost* thread.
>
> In that case also paging should follow the same rule. That is,
> last thread should be at the bottom of the _last_ page. (And of
> course the last page should be viewed by default.) Now it is at
> the bottom of the first page which is not exactly very
> intuitive.

I think that would be even more confusing.

For one, the default page would be the last page - makes sense
from your perspective, but certainly unusual in the web
discussion board context. For two, the first page in one view
would be the last page in another view, and page numbers no
longer refer to the same set of threads (at the same point in
time). E.g.: "Where was that thread you mentioned?" - "Oh, on the
second or third page or so."