SDC & ddmd

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 10 00:10:50 PST 2011

On 10 December 2011 07:54, Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme at jadamspam.pl> wrote:
> Bernard Helyer wrote:
>>
>> Hi, primary author of SDC here.
>>
>> Existing compilers (DMD, LDC, GDC, DDMD) all descend directly from the
>> DMDFE. The DMDFE is thus the only real source of true semantics of the
>> language, except where directly contradicted by Walter, Andrei, or TDPL.
>> For the ecosystem to not become inbred, a new front-end is needed.
>>
>> Furthermore, like others, I have become frustrated at the various bugs
>> of the frontend. These bugs are passed on to all other compilers because
>> of the afore-mentioned ubiquity of the front-end.
>

> On the other side all bug fixes are also passed on to all compilers.
> Rewriting entire frontend would certainly introduce another set of bugs.

Sure, but that is not an excuse to discourage such development (and we
could certainly go turtles all the way down with this argument, as all
bugs created are passed on to all compilers too!)

Things that rock about SDC from my short observation of seeing it
develop.  It's a compiler written in D2 for D2, and aims to be
self-hosting. (At least I hope that is still the goal. :)

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';