Why D const is annoying

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 10 03:30:09 PST 2011

On 12/10/2011 12:10 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 3:08 AM, bearophile wrote:
>> Timon Gehr:
>>
>>> No, popFront is mutating and const(int[]) cannot be mutated.
>> So, is it impossible by design to iterate immutable collections?
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> I believe the answer is yes (although Timon would probably know better).

You can always have a mutable range over the immutable collection contents.

> That's one reason I believe const is broken...

Well, you are essentially complaining about the fact that
const/immutable variables cannot be changed. I believe that very likely
this is the point of having them. If you want to mutate a variable don't
make its type const or immutable.