If I had my way

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat Dec 10 12:00:58 PST 2011

I certainly appreciate the general statement, as keeping ones users
happy is one of the most important, if not the single most important
thing, to a positive image.

However, please don't forget that there has already been put quite a lot
of effort into making the current version ready for release (I don't
think there are any blockers left, are there?). Addressing all the
points raised would require several potentially high impact changes,
which could easily set us back for two or three weeks.

Also, the soon-to-be 2.057 fixes quite a few codegen bugs, which are
notoriously troublesome since tracing them down takes a lot of effort.

And personally, I'd like to see a new version being released soon
because I'd otherwise have to tell Thrift people to use a Git version of
DMD when I post my GSoC project for upstream inclusion, which I can't
postpone infinitely. ;)

As 2.057 will contain a few additions which could potentially require
some fixes before they can be considered stable, my proposal would be to
release 2.057 now, and aim for a quick 2.058 to address both the issues
you mentioned, and any problems turned up by FReD/OS X x86_64 being used
in the real world.

David