What can be done to reduce executable size?

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 12:01:54 PST 2011

On 12/10/2011 11:59 AM, Trass3r wrote:
>> Sorry, I meant EXCLUDING the 'hello world' part.
>>
>> i.e. a program that (literally) does nothing should not require
>> anything except argument-parsing, which can be done through
>> msvcrt.dll's __wgetmainargs(). So really, it should hardly need any
>> code at all.
>
> I know it shouldn't. But currently you still have to statically link
> the runtime, gc, etc. even in an empty program:
> http://thecybershadow.net/d/mapview/view.php?id=4ee3b98636422

Right, but my point is, I could work around (I've gotten within inches
of it!) it if simply Walter released a TINY part of snn.lib -- just a
handful of tiny source files regarding the TLS-related stuff, EXE
segment markers, and whatnot. (I've already raised this issue before,
and precisely what we would need, but it seemed to go completely ignored.)