If I had my way

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 11 00:13:51 PST 2011

On 12/11/11 12:55 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:jc0fnt$13pu$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 12/10/11 2:14 PM, Andrew Wiley wrote:
>>>
>>> ^^
>>> I agree. Postponing the current release doesn't really do anything but
>>> frustrate the people that depend on recent changes. Setting a goal for
>>> the next release accomplishes the same goals without the added
>>> frustration.
>
> +1
>
> I do strongly support the new prioritization...but *after* we release 2.057.
> The thing's already in the middle of the doorway, there's no point in not
> getting it the rest of the way out the door..

This is a done deal now. I would like to thank Kenji and Walter for so
quickly and resolutely acting on my suggestions.

>> There are good ways of addressing that. We can delay the release by only a
>> few days and fix long-standing and extremely important issues. This is not
>> only about doing the expected/reasonable thing here, but breaking a
>> pattern and making a statement.
>
> If, as you suggest, there's some big things that can be fixed in a short
> amount of time, then we can just finish 2.057, and have a short and sweet
> dev cycle for 2.058. The only thing "breaking a pattern and making a
> statement" does for anyone is make it look like we've been possessed by
> Steve Jobs's ghost.

More rigor and perfectionism ethic wouldn't hurt us one bit. Bugs,
underdefined and underimplemented features, and an attitude "if it has a
workaround it's less of a bug" are our main liabilities right now.

Andrei