If I had my way

Bane branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:12:29 PST 2011

Paulo Pinto Wrote:

> Actually this could be good idea, it is after all where
> Objective-C (with ARC) and C++ on Windows (C++/CX) are
> moving to.
>
> But there can be some performance issues nonetheless. I
> am no GC expert, but I think in most cases the overhead
> imposed by increment/decrement operations looses against
> most advanced GC in use today.

There is only one way to really settle pro/anti GC discussions, and that is optional compilation with  or without gc, refcounting etc. That is only way to get the facts how much does GC slows program down (or not :)

I am pro GC definitely for simple reason it increases productivity significantly.

But in systems world there will always be significant number of people with doubt in any GC implementation, or just with a desire to do their own memory management. I think that group of people is important and we should do what we can to attract them to D.