A benchmark, mostly GC

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:02:15 PST 2011

Le 11/12/2011 16:43, Dejan Lekic a écrit :

> It would be really great to implement a generational GC similar to the
> C4 mentioned in this presentation:
> http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Understanding-Java-Garbage-Collection
> . There is a research-paper about C4 as well:
> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1993491 .

This GC (like all compacting GC) require that the GC knows what is a
reference/pointer and what isn't.

This is possible in D using the compile time reflexion to build a
runtime reflexion. But the standard lib is far away from that. This will
also bloat the executable with reflexion's data, thing that some don't want.

By the way, this show up the fact that, depending on needs, people will
require different GC and that the lib should allow us to choose the one
we want. For exemple with a compiler switch (gc-module=xxx for example).