D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 11 13:21:25 PST 2011

On Sunday, December 11, 2011 14:56:50 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm glad this message has been met with virtually no reaction!
> Nevertheless, I reddit'ed it to announce the decision to the larger
> community.
>
> http://reddit.com/r/programming/comments/n8sit/d1_to_be_discontinued_on_dece
> mber_31_2012_after/

Well, at this point, I expect that pretty much no one who only uses D1 and not
D2 does much in this newsgroup, and anyone who only uses D2 is not going to
have a problem with it. The only ones likely too make a fuss about it here
would be those who use both, and since they use both presumably they're okay
with this in the long run as long as D2 is up to snuff, and that situation has
been steadily improving. Also, since the actual date is over a year off,
there's plenty of time for things to improve quite a bit more. Not to mention,
just because dmd1 won't be geting any more bug fixes doesn't mean that you
can't use it anymore - and since it's on github, interested parties can always
fork it.

I'm still a bit surprised that pretty much no one has responded, but then
again, you posted it only about 24 hours ago. So between that and the fact
that most of the people around here focus on D2, I expect that the number of
people who have would have read it and would be unhappy about it is rather
limited.

- Jonathan M Davis