If I had my way

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:23:32 PST 2011

On 11 December 2011 20:34, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> Am 11.12.2011 19:18, schrieb Manu:
>
>> On 11 December 2011 15:15, maarten van damme <maartenvd1994 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:maartenvd1994 at gmail.**com <maartenvd1994 at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>

>>    2011/12/11 Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org
>>    <mailto:pjmlp at progtools.org>>
>>

>>        Am 10.12.2011 21:35, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>
>>            On 12/10/11 2:22 PM, maarten van damme wrote:
>>
>>                Just for fun I
>>                wanted to create a program as little as possible,
>>                compiled without
>>                garbage collector/phobos/... and it turned out that
>>                compiling without
>>                garbage collector is pretty much impossible (memory
>>                leaks all around the
>>                place in druntime). dynamic linking for the d standard
>>                library would be
>>                a great new option for a dmd release in the future :).
>>

>>            Using D without GC is an interesting direction, and dynamic
>>            linking
>>            should be available relatively soon.
>>

>>            Andrei
>>

>>        As a long time beliver in systems programming languages with GC
>>        support
>>        (Modula-3, Oberon, Sing#, ...), I think allowing this in D is
>>        the wrong direction.
>>
>>        Sure provinding APIs to control GC behavior makes sense, but not
>>        turn it
>>        off, we already have enough languages to do systems programming
>>        without GC.
>>

>>    I was only trying it "for the fun of it", not to be used seriously.
>>    D should always have it's GC support built-in and have some
>>    functions to control it's behaviour (core.memory). But I think that
>>    D, beeing a systems programming language, should also be able to be
>>    used without GC. I don't mean phobos to be writtin without a GC in
>>    mind but druntime should be compilable with something like a -nogc
>>    flag that make it usable without GC.
>>
>>    There are a lot of users out there who think that a GC produces
>>    terribly slow programs, big hangs while collecting,... (thank java
>>    for that. Right now the java GC has been improved and it's extremely
>>    good but the memory stays :p)
>>    Letting them know that D can be run without GC can be a good point.
>>    If they don't like it, they can turn it off.
>>

>> That's got nothing to do with it. People who seriously NEED to be able
>> to use the language without the GC enabled are probably working on small
>> embedded systems with extremely limited resources. It's also possible
>> that various different resource types need to be allocated/located in
>> different places.
>> Also, In many cases, you need to able to have confidence in strict
>> deterministic allocation patterns. You can't do that with a GC enabled.
>> I'm all about having a GC in D, obviously, but I certainly couldn't
>> consider the language for universal adoption in many of my projects
>> without the option to control/disable it at times.
>> If I can't write some small programs with the GC completely disabled,
> [...]

The best current example I can think of is PS3, there are 2 separate
architectures in use in that machine, PPC, and SPU, the PPC has 2 separate
heaps, and each SPU has its own 256k micro-heap.
The PPC side would probably use GC in the main heap, and manually manage
resources in the secondary video heap. Each SPU however is a self contained
processor with 256k of memory.
Not only is there no room to waste, but the PROGRAM needs to fit in there
too. Interaction between the main program and the SPU micro-programs is FAR
more painless if they share the same language. With the source code being
shared, it's very easy to copy memory between the processors which directly
share the structure definitions.
Obviously, any code running on the SPU may not use the GC... Period. The
program code its self must also be as small as possible, no space to
wastefully link pointless libraries.

It's hard to say a PS3 isn't a fair target platform for a language like D.
It's not going away either.
This is just one example, almost every games console works like this:
 * PS2 had 4 coprocessors, each with their own micro-memory, one of which
would certainly share source code with the main app (even back then, this
approach was the norm).
 * PSP only has 32mb of ram, explicit management is mandatory on systems
with such small memory.
 * Wii has an ARM coprocessor with a tiny memory bank, it also has
bugger-all main memory (24mb), so you probably want to explicitly manage
memory a lot more.
 * Nintendo DS has a secondary small coprocessor.
 * Larrabee architecture, CELL architecture, or anything like these it will
require running code with explicit management of micro-heaps.

Signal processing, DSP's, etc, usually coprocessors, these aren't tiny
slave chips with microprograms written in assembly anymore, they are
powerful sophisticated coprocessors, with full floating point (usually SIMD
arithmetic, PLEASE PLEASE ADD A 128bit SIMD TYPE) support, would benefit
from D and its libraries, but still have bugger all memory and require
strict control over it.

It's nice to write the master program and the coprocessor programs in the
same language. At very least for the ability to directly share data structs.

I hope I have made an indisputable a case for this. It's come up here a lot
of times, and it's pretty annoying when everyone suggests the reasons for
wanting it are nothing more that maximising performance. I'd suggest that
in 95% of cases, performance has *nothing* to do with it.