D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:57:02 PST 2011

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:19:02 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> In order to increase focus and unity in the language, we are
> discontinuing support for D1 on December 31, 2012. That's more than one
> year away, which gives enough time to D1 users to migrate libraries and
> applications to D2.

I find this an interesting choice. While a good portion of the community
has moved over and libraries have supported both or just D2, this could
result in another rift.

With this kind of choice it may be important to prioritize those issues
found by the D1 users that are beginning their port.

I haven't used D1 for a long time so I can't claim a bad choice here.