If I had my way

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 19:21:20 PST 2011

On Sunday, 11 December 2011 at 22:01:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> And if we're going to really try and get the const issues
> sorted out, Walter really should look at Michel Fortin's
> changes which replace Rebindable.
>
> And we definitely need to sort out what we want to be doing
> with const-
> correctness and object. Kenji did some pull requests related to
> that, but there were some issues, and I'm not quite sure where
> that all stands at the moment. It _is_ a major element in
> fixing const though.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I concur, these two are major const issues.

Fixing Rebindable seems instrumental in fixing Variant if I
understand the situation correctly. Fixing Variant is
instrumental to fixing std.concurrency. A lot of issues are
solved by going down this path.

As for Object - this week on IRC I had to explain to someone
relatively new to D that the error he encountered was due to
Object not being const-correct yet. Which surely sounds like a
trivial problem to fix, but at least I could link to the
discussion in the pull request to clarify that it isn't entirely
straight-forward. This is definitely another source of
frustration when working with const.