.dmg installer for OSX?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sun Dec 11 20:15:21 PST 2011

On 2011-12-12 03:36:47 +0000, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> said:

> On 12/11/2011 7:19 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> I could, but first you need to tell me how you want it installed. My installer
>> creates a directory at /Library/Compilers/dmd and-or
>> /Library/Compilers/dmd2 and
>> installs the package from the zip file there. It then creates symlinks in
>> /usr/local so dmd and the other tools are on your paths. It also installs a
>> script that let you switch the symlinks between the two versions of dmd for D1
>> and D2 in case you have both installed. Also, for dmd itself, instead of a
>> symlink it installs two tiny executables that executes dmd in
>> /Library/Compilers/dmd{,2} (like a symlink would do) but also changes the path
>> of argument zero so that it matches the new path (so that dmd finds its
>> corresponding dmd.conf file).
>>
>> So, how do you want dmd to be installed on OS X?
>
> I don't know - except that it ought to conform to the "Mac Way" of
> doing things.

I think Apple would say that command line programs should be installed
as it is normally done on UNIX systems. To me that means
/usr/local/bin/dmd, /usr/local/lib/libphobos2.a and I'm not sure what
should be the module path inside /usr/local, /usr/local/include?

By putting things there, they'll automatically be on the path.

But you can't have both dmd1 and dmd2 installed with that setup, which
is why I'm using symlinks all over the place.

How is it installed on Linux?

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com