If I had my way

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 06:00:10 PST 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:17:20 -0500, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 10:12 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> Yes I am, since I know many areas where GC enabled languages have been
>>> replacing non-GC languages for better or worse.
>>>
>>> But then again, I am only a lurker here, so take my arguments with a
>>> grain of salt.
>>>
>>> As a non user of D, I cannot really say much.
>>
>> GC does not scale if an application has to be responsive. In all other
>> cases it is a valid choice.
>
> (if you have enough spare memory)

Don't confuse druntime's GC with the concept of a GC.  Better implemented
GCs work quite well in practice, even for making responsive apps.

In general, however, GC's need more memory than manually managed code.  So
for environments where memory is very limited, non-GC is pretty much the
only option.

-Steve