dfeed/gravatar issue

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Dec 12 08:53:16 PST 2011

On Monday, 12 December 2011 at 06:15:02 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> Spam filters (much like just about anything Google is big into)
> are a fundamentally broken approach.

 From a practical perspective, the hassle of being paranoid about
spam is overweighted by the insignificant inconveniences of a
good spam filter.

Also, not publishing your e-mail address is not fool-proof. Two
of the people who have contacted me previously have had their
accounts hacked, so I started receiving spam from them (these are
the rare false negatives I mentioned). I think it's safe to say
that my address was also added to those spammers' general lists.

And that's not to mention the occasional technically incompetent
person from some organization/event you had contact with that
will publish your address on the web for you.

> I actually use Gravitar and I'm convinced it's really not that
> great of a site in the first place. The whole approach is all
> wrong.

How is it wrong and how would you make it better? The idea is
great for average netizens.