If I had my way

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:43:57 PST 2011

On Monday, 12 December 2011 at 13:56:22 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Yes, there are engines which implement *game logic* using GC
> based
> scripts/JIT-ers, but both the ENGINES you mention are still
> written in
> C/C++, and have very tight control of the hardware. Given this
> example, are
> you suggesting D is a scripting language to sit above some
> C/C++ app? For
> me, that's the opposite of what D is.

I've thought before how well suited D is for a Unity-style game
engine. D's an obvious choice for the engine internals, but why
not use it in replacement of game logic "scripts" as well? SafeD
is just as easy to understand as C# or Unity's Javascript
(relatively). Only you'd get the added benefit of native
performance on game logic blocks, which could easily be packaged
with the engine for release. For an editor, it should be easy
enough to utilize DMD to compile game-logic files into their own
temporary executable dynamically (or dynamic library?) which
would pass messages to the engine running in-editor.