Some standard protocols in Phobos

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 12 20:17:54 PST 2011

On Monday, December 12, 2011 20:07:37 bcs wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 04:55 AM, bearophile wrote:
> > I think it will eventually become important to have some standard
> > protocols in Phobos, like one for images like this:
> > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0368/
> >
> > Do you like?
> >
> > and similar ones for:
> > - matrices
> > - basic 2D pixel-oriented graphics.
> > - basic database usage
> >
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
>
> Likely the easiest way to ram that in in would be to pick one, design an
> interface, implement 3-5 concrete examples and submit a pull request.
> I.e. create a de-facto standard.
>
> I think there is already one in the works for DBs .

A pull request would not be sufficient. Any major additions to Phobos must go
through a review process on the newsgroup and be voted into Phobos. Pull
requests are generally for smaller additions and bug fixes rather than whole
new modules and the like. So, unless you're talking about just a function or
two here, then this kind of stuff is likely to require a formal review. That
being said, the main way to get this kind of stuff into Phobos is to just
buckle down and do it. If you're the first to come up with a new piece of
functionality and are willing to work it through the review process, then you
can get stuff added that way. If you sit around, hoping that someone else will
do it, it may never happen.

- Jonathan M Davis