Package manager - interacting with the compiler

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Dec 13 05:45:52 PST 2011

On 2011-12-13 14:04, Chad J wrote:

> OK, cool.  I should probably mention some of the things I like about
> portage (off the top of my head), incase it helps:
>
> - The world file: A list of all packages that the /user/ elected to
> install.  It does not contain dependencies.  It is the top level.

That might be a good idea. I had only planned to list all installed
packages.

> - use-flags: Flags/keywords associated with packages that allow you to
> turn specific features within packages on and off.

I currently have no plans of configurable packages. Either the complete
package is installed or nothing is installed.

Orbit uses Semantic Versioning: http://semver.org/

> Things I don't like about portage:
> - The portage tree doesn't keep enough old versions around sometimes.

I have no plans of removing old packages as long as it doesn't cause any
problems.

> - People who write crappy ebuilds or mark things stable when they mess
> up my system.  The quality control used to be better.
> (It's still my favorite package manager by a wide margin.)

This seems hard to avoid and I don't know what can be done about it.

--
/Jacob Carlborg