D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Dec 13 13:41:22 PST 2011

On Tuesday, 13 December 2011 at 21:00:22 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> Well, I don't know. I don't think D2/Phobos is usable in its
> current state.

Regarding the language itself - your opinion is neither rational
nor popular. For contrast, I think that D2 is more usable than D1
right now due to higher expressiveness and new language features
catching more bugs before I have to waste any time hunting them.

One year is plenty of time to complete a D2 port of Tango. Also,
remember the state of Phobos of one year ago. Apply the delta to
now, what do you see?

Most importantly, you didn't answer why you will require
*continued support* of D1 one year in the future, and how it
would justify sacrificing progress elsewhere. I think that a
one-year warning is very generous.

> I think it's selfish to decide for the hole community.

Wait, so you actually believe that a vote would go in your favor?