D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Dec 13 20:12:04 PST 2011

On 13.12.2011 17:00, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/13/11 7:52 AM, Don wrote:
>> On 10.12.2011 22:19, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> In order to increase focus and unity in the language, we are
>>> discontinuing support for D1 on December 31, 2012. That's more than one
>>> year away, which gives enough time to D1 users to migrate libraries and
>>> applications to D2.
>>
>> I thought we had moved away from these kinds of unilateral decisions.
>> I strongly oppose this decision. In particlar, I find the lack of
>> community consulatation deplorable.
>
> Apologies for this being so sudden. This was deliberate as there would
> have been no way to achieve consensus in the matter. People prefer
> having choices and postponement options, and are generous with others'
> time.
>
> Allow me to recap the reasons why I think this is a necessary move.
>
> 1. We can't serve two masters. Working on two languages at the same time
> was non-committal and artificially sustained a rift in the community.

The rift was created and sustained by unilateral statements like this
one. Abandoning half the community doesn't help.

> It also diffused our focus, delayed us to an ever-increasing extent,

What on earth gives you that idea? The only resources involved are some
fraction of Walter's time, which is obviously an important resource, but
nobody other than Walter is affected. You're seriously misrepresenting
the situation.

I spend some time on fixing D1 bugs, but that won't change, see below.

> and
> sent the wrong message out that we're lacking confidence of what our
> core thrust is, so we're trying to sort of please everyone. ("Here's our
> flagship language! If you don't like it, well, we have another one.")

This is a silly and offensive statement. Most languages are in this
situation. Look at Python2 vs Python3, Perl6 vs Perl5.

> 2. The deadline is more than a year away. This is a long time, enough
> for us to make D2 compelling, and also for interested people to migrate.

No, it's an exceedingly short timeframe. What gives you the idea that
nobody is using D1? Have you thought about what would convince them to
switch to D2, and what would be required for them to do it?

I suspect you don't know much about the D1 community. (Note that only a
small fraction of D users have ever used the newsgroup, and it's mostly
people with an interest in language design. They are not representative).

I can already say with certainty that I will still be using D1 in 2013.