A benchmark, mostly GC

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Dec 13 23:38:17 PST 2011

No need to reference Wikipedia articles, I am well aware of the implementation specifics.

Still Singularity was just an example. I can pinpoint several other operating systems done in GC enabled systems languages, where besides the given language, only assembly was used, Native Oberon is such an OS for example.

Many times C and C++ get used in such operating systems because of available tools that speed up development, instead of spending time rewriting them.

I think we will eventually get there as the trend nowadays is that everything is slowly done in GC enabled languages anyway. Even Microsoft and Apple are extending their systems languages (Objective-C and C+) to offer some form of automatic memory management.

--
Paulo