D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Dec 14 05:12:41 PST 2011

> On 12/14/11 1:35 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> No. It's not so much about the result (because I know basically everyone
>> would vote to discontinue the D1 support), it's more about the attitude
>> and the way it's handled.
>
> How would you have handled the situation if you were in our place?

"<your list of reasons why you're discontinuing D1>
It is for these reasons we are planning to discontinue D1 support on
December 31, 2012. Does anyone have any reasons why D1 support should be
continued after these dates, or is there anything we've not thought about?

For those of you still using D1, what can we do to make a transition
more tempting and as pain-free as possible?"

The result would almost certainly been the same, but you would have a
better idea of what's missing in D2 that D1 has, and this would seem
like more of a community decision.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that either you or Walter should spent time
working on things you have little or no interest in, but this was
incredibly sudden, and had no community input.

Side note: If you'd done the above and worded it correctly, you may have
found someone to take over maintenance of D1 until support ends, thus
reducing Walter's workload even sooner (just to clarify, this is just
speculation and opinion, I'm not saying it would have happened).

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/