DMD 1.072 and DMD 2.057 64bit on Mac OS X

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Dec 14 05:39:31 PST 2011

On 2011-12-14 10:54:55 +0000, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> said:

> On 12/14/2011 2:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Yeah, it's the only reason this matters on Mac OS X. If it was a "regular"
>> application I probably never would have noticed.
>
> I find I don't notice. (I think that's good!) Unless I'm debugging an
> issue specific to 32 or 64 bits.
>
> It makes me wonder if we need to support 32 bit generation on OSX at all.

If I were to develop a Mac application in D at this time, not being
able to target older 32-bit macs would make me reconsider using D. The
app I'm working on still has PowerPC support!

Perhaps I'm not the typical Mac developer though. But as long as Apple
supports compiling for 32-bit with the provided developer tools I'd
keep it in DMD too, if only because it'd make D look cheep otherwise.

Also, I think it'd make sense that druntime and phobos continue to
support 32-bit OS X in case someone wants to target iOS one day, which
is basically 32-bit OS X on ARM.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com