Tango for D2 (Was: D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012)

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:22:12 PST 2011

Before I say anything, I want to say that I always used Phobos
because I do not want to sound to some people like Tango
advocate. I humbly believe Tango is still superior in many places
comparing to Phobos. Take a look at Tango conduits for an
example, and you will understand what I mean. Tango has been made
to be a framework ready for enterprise use, and I seriously
believe Tango, if ported to work on top of druntime and phobos
will still attract users.

I live in Java world nowadays, where Java IO and NIO 1 and 2 are
standards. Tango is very close to NIO, and I believe it has been
modeled after Java NIO. Kudos to designers and developers. I
always wished it had been refactored to work on top of Phobos,
which I still count as a low-level library.

In my perfect D world, druntime would be the lowest level
library, phobos little bit higher, but still low level, and the
third layer would be Tango, with all high-level features it
possesses.

Kind regards