dfeed

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Dec 14 09:40:34 PST 2011

On 12/14/11 11:02 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Even setting aside my own opinions of twitface (ie, that it's
> useless, moronic, aptly-named, and deserves to go out of business),

By no means Twitter fan here, but I disagree. For Walter and myself
Twitter is an app - a convenient means to disseminate brief
announcements to those interested.

> there are still real issues with it:
>
> - It *significantly* slows down the page load. I'll describe it this
> way: FF2 is well known to be super-slow compared to every other
> modern browser, including newer versions of FF. And yet, my
> twitface-blocking FF2 loads the page many times *faster* (it's *very*
> noticable) than *every* modern non-twitface-blocking browser I've
> thrown at it.

iframe as mentioned.

> - I think it may be crashing Iron (ie, Chrome sans the malware). It's
> either the twit feed or the google translator, but something on the
> homepage is crashing Iron/Chrome for me (it happens after the main
> HTML/CSS loads and gets displayed).

Problem with the browser as mentioned.

> - It's extremely visually-jarring. It doesn't fit the visual style of
> the rest of the page at all. Which might be acceptable on a minor
> sub-page, but it's no good for the language's primary entryway.

You can change colors, let's see a mock-up.

> - People who care about twitface can subscribe to it themselves.
> Forcing it on everyone else is not only rude, but it effectively
> amounts to an advertisement for twitface right on D's homepage -
> which is grossly inappropriate (even regardless of anyone's personal
> opinions of twitface).

You are making it quite evident you dislike Twitter, but it's tenuous to
convert that into the assessment that dlang.org is being rude to its users.

> It's no different from sticking "Drink Mountin Dew!" up on there.

It is very different. We're _using_ Twitter, not just advertising it.

Andrei