D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:28:36 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 14 December 2011 at 09:50:09 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 12:30 AM, Don wrote:
>> So, didn't sound then as though D1 was a big issue. Yet a
>> month later you
>> announce you've made a private decision about axing D1.
>> Feels exactly like a military coup.
>
> Well, it wasn't one. The thing is, as I posted in this thread
> recently, there's little to no evidence of D1 interest - nobody
> responded to the beta, no posts about D1, no new bug reports
> about D1, no response to the new D1 releases (yes, Jacob just
> did a reply to it), etc.

Another Jakob here, I'm a D1 user and I have contributed some
changes to phobos to fix D1 use issues on Mac. Any problems I
had with it are now resolved. (well there are some major ones
with regards to the GC but D1 is stable so I just have to live
with it).

I'm sorry I haven't responded to the D1 beta's.

> I feel like I was supporting D1 in a vacuum. I've been thinking
> about ending support for it for some time because of that.
>
> I don't know where the D1 community is, or even if it exists
> anymore.

I'm here!

Anyways couldn't you just do releases less often or only when
there is something to release? Like every other D2 release to
lessen the burden?

Cheers, Jakob.