dfeed

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 14 19:03:55 PST 2011

On 12/14/2011 1:00 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> If D wants a twit feed and a link to it or whatever, then whatever. I just
> don't think prominent corporate branding is appropriate on the frontpage
> unless it's something directly connected (Digital Mars would be appropriate,
> for example). Any other complaints I have about social networking or
> whatever else aren't really about spreading word of D anyway, but rather
> spreading word of sensible software design.

I dismissed twitter as a meaningless fad for years (starting with the ridiculous
name). But a friend of mine, Roy Osherove, went to some pains to show me how
wrong I was, and how valuable a tool twitter was. He was actually able to
organize an impromptu "flash conference" in London in two days using nothing but
twitter. The conference was a big success, and I was sold.

Twitter has an endearing property - people sign up to get your tweets, so you
are not spamming them. It used to be that a mailing list, then an email list,
were valuable business property. Now it's the number of followers you have on
twitter.

Since then, I have found that twitter is, hands down, the most effective way of
reaching people interested in D and keeping them interested.

Twitter works well on small, mobile devices while email is just a giant pain on
the small screen.

Having the twitter feed for d_programming on the home page is a nice thing so
the "what's new" is constantly refreshed. We don't have to write any code to do
it, or reinvent (badly) what twitter does, and it costs nothing. I don't mind it
saying "twitter" under the feed. We also use Google's translate widget.