D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Dec 15 07:37:07 PST 2011

Timon Gehr:

> Fixed array assignment certainly won't cause any trouble.<

I don't know about the D front end, but those arrays have caused performance problems in my D2 code. Later I have taken more care, assigning items one after the other, writing:

int[3] a = void;
a[0] = ...

Instead of:

> An issue is that 32 bit x86 architectures do not necessarily provide any SSE support.

Most PCs have SSE2 support. Lot of PCs today have SSE3 too.

> GCC will not use XMM registers by default either.

LLVM-GCC (and probably Clang too) use SSE registers on default on 32 bit Windows. And with modern GCC-MinGW I usually compile code with those registers too on 32 bit Windows, using the right compiler switches.

Bye,
bearophile