.dmg installer for OSX?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Dec 15 15:48:46 PST 2011

On 2011-12-15 20:53:23 +0000, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> said:

> There is some grey area here though.  TextMate, for example, is an
> application but has a preference that will put a link in /usr/bin to
> launch it from the command-line.  So apps are allowed to configure the
> environment on request.  For DMD you'd probably really have to bundle it
> with an IDE to qualify it as an app store item though.

But TextMate is not available on the Mac App Store. It probably
wouldn't be allowed in the store if the version submitted to Apple had
this feature.

To give you an idea of the mindset, Apple is currently trying to force
Mac developers to sandbox their apps (similar to how apps are isolated
on iOS) as a requirement to be available on the Mac App Store.
Currently this requirement isn't enforced: it was scheduled to be
enforced starting in november but this got pushed to march 2012… we'll
see how well it goes. No doubt many apps will go out of the store when
this becomes a requirement and they don't relax those rules.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/