D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Dec 15 15:52:48 PST 2011

On 12/15/11 3:50 PM, Bane wrote:
> Anyways, D "community" can't really speak its mind here. Here it is
> 5-10 regular users that are persistent enough to dig trough loads of
> mixed information, some important, most of it not, on this NG. Most
> users have no time to check this place every other day so they can
> say 'please, don't discontinue D1, I am using it' or anything like
> that when important matter arises.
>
> Sending question to users is more correct way to obtain opinions than
> to wait people to stumble on this thread here. It won't happen for
> most D users. Ever.

This is the case with all language communities I've interacted with
(C++, Perl, TeX). For all its hoards of users, C++ has a small but
extremely influential community hanging out on two Usenet newsgroups:
comp.lang.c++.moderated and comp.std.c++. Needless to say, both are free
and open for anyone to join. But these groups are the closest it gets to
pure meritocracy - people could earn huge amounts of clout simply by
making good quality posts. In fact my first ever invited conference talk
was solely on account of my newsgroup contributions.

The traffic on either of these groups is comparable to that on the D
newsgroups. There are few official "well, let's ask the community" polls
but by and large the trends reflected by these groups are fairly
influential. I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm just saying it is,
and also that D's community dynamics is no different in that regard from
at least a few others.

Regarding this particular announcement, there's no need to dig for it. I
sent it not only to this group, but also to D_programming's 805 Twitter
followers, my 1215 Twitter followers, my 3661 Facebook subscribers,
reddit, and by extension to D's homepage and my own homepage. It is
reasonable to expect that people with an interest in D have had all
chances to see it and sufficient channels to chime in.

True, the announcement was a done deal and not a question. I very
strongly think it didn't need to be a question, for reasons I expanded
upon in other posts in this thread.

Thanks,

Andrei