64-bit DMD for windows?

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:35:54 PST 2011

On Friday, 16 December 2011 at 12:14:50 UTC, a wrote:
> Jakob Ovrum Wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 16 December 2011 at 09:56:47 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>> > considering that there are no x86 chips sold these days
>> > which aren't x86_64, I find it rather baffling that
>> > Microsoft even sells a 32-bit version of Windows.
>>
>> This is simply not true. I don't know about processors sold
>> separately, but many netbooks and laptops still come with 32
>> bit processors.
>
> New laptops and netbooks don't. Even recent (less than two
> years old) versions of intel atom are x86_64.

The keyword here is "sold", and besides, IA32 is still extremely
common on cheap netbooks and laptops, even some recent models.
The Atom line having 64 bit models doesn't mean a whole lot for
the present reality.

32-bit x86 is definitely disappearing, but there is a long road
ahead and 32 bit x86 is still ubiquitous.

And I bet if you counted all the offices using Windows around the
world, you'd find the vast majority of them using 32-bit
hardware. There's no reason Microsoft shouldn't offer upgrade
opportunities for that userbase as long as their new OS' work
fine on old hardware.