d future or plans for d3

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Dec 17 18:26:51 PST 2011

On Sunday, December 18, 2011 04:09:21 Ruslan Mullakhmetov wrote:
>   I want to ask you about D future

It will be years before we seriously start looking at D3, and while there are
ideas for what we might like to do with it, it's far too early to say what's
likely to happen with it. D2 needs to be fully stabilized and be in general
use for a while before we really look at expanding it into D3. We really need
to work at making D2 a success before we worry about where we're going next.
Also, many of the best changes to D3 won't be evident until D2 has been used
enough for its problems to become evident. D1 and D2 manage to improve on
C++'s problems as well as they do precisely because we know what they are. We
don't really know what D2's primary problems are yet, and that will take time.

Also, while D3 may be years off, it could be that after D2 has stabilized more,
we'll add new features that are backwards compatible. So, just because D3 is
years off does not necessarily mean that D2 is static. In addition, many things
can be done in libraries without needing to add anything to the language, so
what you can do with D2 will continue to improve, even if the language itself
doesn't change much.

Regardless, the main focus right now is in stabilizing dmd and fleshing out the
standard library, not in creating a new version of D with new features. It's
too early for that.

- Jonathan M Davis