Java > Scala

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 17 23:09:25 PST 2011

On 12/17/2011 10:36 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
> In all of this, the issue of portability of code has seemingly been
> missed.  One of the main reasons for Java in 1995 (other than the
> trendiness of Web browser programming) was portability across all
> platforms.  This made the sys admin of provision of resources  for
> programming classes significantly less than it was.  C, C++ and D cannot
> match this even today.  Back then it was a Big Win (tm).

I find this an odd statement because the Java VM is written in C, so therefore
it is on the same or fewer platforms than C.

BTW, if I was King of the World, universities would teach assembler programming
first.

I learned BASIC first, then FORTRAN, then I learned assembler (6800) and it was
like someone turned the lights on.

I liken it to trying to teach kids algebra first, give them a calculator, and
never bother teaching them arithmetic.

A programmer who doesn't know assembler is never going to write better than
second rate programs.