d future or plans for d3

Ruslan Mullakhmetov tiabaldu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 02:51:41 PST 2011

On 2011-12-18 00:56:33 +0000, Timon Gehr said:

> C++11 does not change the relation between D and C++ a lot. Why do you
> think it does?

Because it incorporates many features D declared to be unique to it
over C++ like
   - thread local variables
   - explicit concurrency model
   - type deduction
   - variadic templates
   - generalized constant expressions

Some comparison is made at http://d-programming-language.org/cpp0x.html

> The language does not have to be changed to get that to work.

The C language doesn't have to be changed to get OOP working. There are
 libraries written in plain C satisfying all requirements of OOP, e.g.
libav. Nevertheless C++ was born.

 So, what do i propose. To get it explicit in language and working out
of the box, like in Erlang. the only benefit over Erlang i currently
see that D is much more friendly for newcomers from C-like camp. The
another is possibility for embedded programming. I was surprised that
there are attempts to use MAS at embedded programming e.g. robotics
where different controlers are autonomous and communicate with each
others.

>> comparing to other modern languages
>
> IMO that is not a very important question. It is not a contest.

  I thin that this is exactly context. I try to explain. D has
reputation of marginal language with no concrete niche. For embedded
programming C++ and rather plain C is used. For high level programming
Java/C# are good enough. For distributed programming - Erlang. For
scientific - Matlab, python, fortran, C. When i tell somebody about D
the first question i get except community, maturity and stability is
where it can be used. Where it gives true advantage. And i can not
answer.
  So i propose to introduce new paradigm, despite of it is _not_
technical problem. it like ajax where combination of parts gave result
greater then sum of parts.
  One may consider it as marketing trick to attract attention to D.

--
BR, Ruslan Mullakhmetov