Incubated modules for Phobos

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:04:49 PST 2011

On 12/18/2011 10:00 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> Peter Alexander wrote:
>> On 18/12/11 2:18 PM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
>>> "Exp" code may be shipped with each release just like "etc" code. Users
>>> using experimental code should be aware of breaking changes that may be
>>> introduced with each release or even with each commit.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Isn't this just reinventing git branches?
>>
>> If people have their work-in-progress branches on GitHub then people can
>> already try them out, submit pull requests etc. That's the whole point
>> of a branch.
>
> Yes, but what I propose is the centralized repository for that branches
> (eventual candidates to std). Currently no one knows all modules that
> are being worked on.

That would be because there are no branches for it.

cd $DPATH/src/phobos
git branch
<crickets>

This proposal seems good, but I would do it in the form of an "exp"
branch rather than an "exp" directory.

If this is desired for releases, then perhaps the release scripts could
clone both the master branch and the exp branch so that it's all out in
the open.