Java > Scala

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Dec 18 13:14:09 PST 2011

so Wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:08:54 +0200, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The SunSpot VM is written in Java with a very small subset of C code.
> > http://www.sunspotworld.com
> > http://labs.oracle.com/projects/squawk/squawk-rjvm.html
> >
> > The Jikes RVM is written mostly in Java.
> > http://jikesrvm.org/Presentations
> >
> > The Maxime VM is written mostly in Java
> > http://148.87.46.199/projects/maxine/
> >
> > The Oracle/Sun HotSpot is written in C++
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotSpot
> >
> > And this is just a small list, as there are quite a few JVMs around.
>
> Each of these 4 cases you support Walter's point.
> He didn't say you can't write programs in Java or you can't interoperate
> with other languages.

quote: "... I find this an odd statement because the Java VM is written in C, so therefore it is on the same or fewer platforms than C. ..."

Means a VM written in 100% C code, which is not the case for the VMs I have listed. Some of them the only C code is to provide direct access to the hardware via JNI, even the JIT and Garbage Collector are written in Java.