d future or plans for d3

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sun Dec 18 15:22:44 PST 2011

On Sunday, 18 December 2011 at 23:13:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/18/11 4:53 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Sunday, 18 December 2011 at 20:32:18 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> That is an interesting opportunity. At any rate, I am 100%
>>> convinced
>>> precise GC is the only way to go, and I think I've convinced
>>> Walter to
>>> a good extent as well.
>>
>> Sacrificing something (performance, executable size) for
>> something else
>> is not an unilateral improvement.
>
> I think we can do a lot toward improving the footprint and
> performance of a precise GC while benefitting of its innate
> advantages.

Still, a more conservative GC will always outperform a more
precise one in scanning speed. Without knowing the price, it
would be unwise to jump into it without even considering the
possibility of leaving a choice.

I am not against the idea, but I believe that more research is
needed before rash decisions are taken. If the performance
penalty turns out to be insignificant, then choice would be
pointless. And if there will be a considerable performance gap,
the "burden" of choice (compiler switch/boolean runtime setting +
maintenance costs) could be worth it.