d future or plans for d3

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 23:11:09 PST 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:55:18 -0800, Vladimir Panteleev
<vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, 18 December 2011 at 23:28:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I'm not sure. I seem to recall discussions with pathological cases when
>> large regions of memory were scanned for no good reason.
>
> We need to factor the frequency of such cases, and their impact. Also, a
> more precise GC isn't the only solution to such problems - one
> alternative would be readily-available tools to diagnose memory
> problems. For example, Diamond (the toolkit I've written for D1) can
> display a graphical memory map with scannable areas being highlighted.
> It also allows you to easily find the pointer chain that prevents your
> object from being collected.
>
>> I ordered the GC book :o).
>
> A lot of GC research seems to be tied to VMs. D is a bit of an
> exception...

Well, maybe we can do the research then, I love research projects myself
and D would be a good vehicle to display the viability of native GC's,
especially if we had different implementations to experiment with. Just
because we aren't a university doesn't mean we can't do research. It seems
to me that no one else is interested...

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator