Program size, linking matter, and static this()

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Dec 19 11:43:10 PST 2011

On 2011-12-19 19:09, torhu wrote:
> On 19.12.2011 16:08, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> How exactly do they solve the problem? An exe plus a DLL version of the
>>> library will usually be larger than just a statically linked exe.
>>
>> The DLL is loaded into memory once. With static linking, it's loaded
>> every time you run an exe.
>
> I thought we were talking about distribution sizes, not memory use. But
> anyway, DLL's won't do a lot as long as people don't have a whole bunch
> of D programs installed.

It could be useful for a package manager. Theoretically all installed
packages could share the same dynamic library. But I would guess the the
packages would depend on different versions of the library and the
package manager would end up installing a whole bunch of different
versions of the Phobos and druntime.

--
/Jacob Carlborg