Java > Scala

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Dec 19 12:48:25 PST 2011

On 12/19/2011 11:52 AM, ddverne wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 December 2011 at 07:09:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> A programmer who doesn't know assembler is never going to write better than
>> second rate programs.
>
> Please I don't want to flame this thread or anything like that, but this isn't a
> lack of modesty or a little odd?
>
> The phrase: "Who never wrote anything in ASM will not make a firt-rate program"
> is a bit odd, because for me it's like say: "A programmer who never programs on
> punched cards will never going to write a first-rate program".
>
> Finally, what I mean is:
>
> Saying that will bring something good for the community? Or should a new
> programmer would stop his D programming studies and start with Assembly.

Sure, you can interpret that as arrogance on my part, with justification.

On the other hand, I have a lot of experience working with people who do know
assembler, and who do not. I see the effects of not knowing it in their code,
and in the types of problems they are unable to solve without assistance.

You are going to be a better C, C++, or D programmer if you're comfortable with
assembler.