Java > Scala

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Dec 19 23:41:48 PST 2011

Better than learning Assembly, people should also spend some time learning data structures and advanced algorithms. Have a read at Knuth's books or similar.

Being 35, I grew up with Assembly, but nowadays what makes my heart cry is the quality of code I see written everyday by our junior programmers. Sometimes I also
myself if they know how to program at all. In their case I have cold dreams of letting them anywhere near a C or C++ compiler!

I think that it is more important that developers learn proper data structures and algorithms together with computer architecture than just Assembly, specially if you are dealing with heterogeneous computing as it is becoming standard nowadays.

--
Paulo