std.container and classes

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Dec 20 21:37:33 PST 2011

On 12/20/11 10:15 PM, Caligo wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. If you guys, the D experts, are having such a difficult time with
> this, what happens to the rest of us when we need to implement data
> structures that are not offered by Phobos?

Good containers are hard to define. It took the C++ community ten years
and a great mathematician to define some passable ones. I have no
worries - it's a hard task.

> Do we just wait and see what
> happens with Phobos and learn from it?

No need. The basic design is pretty clear - containers offer ranges, and
algorithms use ranges.

> 2.  Are the new containers going to be multi-threaded?  i.e., will I be
> able to insert elements into a container from multiple threads?

Containers will not be implicitly shared. We'll define specialized
shared containers.

Andrei