Java > Scala

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Dec 21 08:26:33 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 06:45 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
> I was also in the academia, doing PL research no less. The academic
> interest was not of commercial nature for the most part - Java _is_ a
> clean language great for doing research of both kinds: (a) research that
> studies programs written in that language, (b) research that adds a
> little feature to the language and proves its properties. The fact that
> Java is underpowered has no import to that kind of work.

Indeed, academic research has a different set of constraints and must be
handled differently to the commercial/industrial setting.  Hence
languages such as Clean are relevant in an academic setting where they
have little or no penetration in "the real world".

Professional publishing which is still going, just, is also very
different from textbook publishing, which by all accounts has nigh on
disappeared.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk