Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Dec 21 15:34:38 PST 2011

On 12/21/11 4:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 12:58 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> Now, to answer your question: according to their website, WinZip
>> starting with
>> version 12 supports creating ZIP archives with LZMA compression - but, of
>> course, to unpack them you need an archiving tool that can understand
>> such ZIP
>> files. It's likely that such software is even more rare that 7-Zip
>> itself, and
>> will result in more confusion ("Why can't I open this ZIP file? I can
>> open any
>> other ZIP file but not this one...").
>
> I understand that issue. The idea is to support it, at least for
> unzipping, in all new versions, and gradually that support will filter
> out into the community.

I repeat, this is a communal waste of time. I just downloaded and
re-compressed everything with 7zip, the reduction was not spectacular at
all - from 21.8MB to 17.3MB.

Also I had to take the detour of downloading and installing 7zip for Mac.

We need to reduce the files going into the archive and get onto a faster
site.

Keeping only OSX relevant files and recompressing with zip (which is
built-in OSX's contextual menu) creates an archive of 11.2 MB. Doing so
with 7zip yields an archive of 8.2 MB. That's more like it.

Andrei