Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Dec 21 15:46:10 PST 2011

On 12/21/11 5:37 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 December 2011 at 23:34:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I just downloaded and re-compressed everything with 7zip, the
>> reduction was not spectacular at all - from 21.8MB to 17.3MB.
>
> Bwuh? I'm seeing a reduction to 11.6MB (10.5 with ultra compression).

I used the standard settings. After tweaking stuff, I got 5.5 MB for the
OSX necessary files only.

The point is a smaller .zip and a faster site will benefit *everyone*.
For extra benefit of 7z users, fine, we can add that option. But it
shouldn't be the only one and the focus of our initial efforts.

Andrei