Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Dec 21 15:52:35 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 21 December 2011 at 23:48:57 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/21/11 5:45 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 21 December 2011 at 23:38:22 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> Hmm, can you explain more about hosting the zip files on
>>> github?
>>
>> 1) Go to a GitHub project
>> 2) Open the Downloads tab
>> 3) Click "Choose a new file"
>> 4) Enter a short description
>> 5) Click "Start Upload"
>>
>> That's all. You can even link directly to GitHub downloads.
>
> 1. How do we do that programmatically?

Downloads are programmable with GitHub's API. They have an
easy-to-use script, too:

https://github.com/github/upload

> 2. Disk usage seems to be at 50% already...

You can get more disk space by asking (it's a soft limit, they
usually expand it for open-source projects - not sure if DMD
qualifies, though), or by getting a paid account.